Sunday 15 January 2017

Squishy's thoughts on the Switch

On Thursday night (here in Europe) Nintendo released tons of information about this new console and the games. Here I will tell you what I think about everything that was announced.


The fist thing that I'm really happy about is the price of the system. In the UK for me it ended up being £280 (price may vary depending on where in Europe you live). I'm really happy that it didn't end up being £300+. I will talk about other prices in a second. Also Its region FREEE!!!

I'm actually happy with the launch games. We got 1, 2, Switch! which I'm looking forward to (yeah I'm weird). Then we got Zelda Breath of the Wild. When I saw the new trailer I actually cried my eyes out. It looks so beautiful! We also got some third party stuff that I don't really care about.


Other games announced for the system that I'm looking forward to are Splatoon 2 and Super Mario Odyssey. Even if they aren't coming out until later this years I'm really excited. One tiny nitpit about Splatoon 2 though is that they should have called it "Splatwo" or something more creative. Also is it just me or am I the only one who thinks that Mario's new hat looks like Elmo?


I am also really excited for Fire Emblem Warriors! I've only played two paths in Fire Emblem Fates but I'm really curious to see what characters they add, who the main character will be and what would be the main story since unlike the Zelda universe, the Fire Emblem universe has about five or six different timelines. We are getting a Fire Emblem direct in less than a week that might have the answers.

One game that annoys me a bit though is Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. I love all the new things they are adding to it but I don't want to spend another £50-£60 just for the new things. If we are really lucky we might get it as DLC for the Wii U but I highly doubt it.


The only real bad thing about all this is the paid online. Nintendo's online has been free for a little over ten years and although it wasn't always perfect, it did the job and was accessible to everyone who could use the internet. Not only are less people going to buy the system but the online popularity of less well known games will suffer because hardly anyone would be playing online. It will get worse when Nintendo eventually pull the plug on the Wii U and 3DS online.

Overall I think that the Nintendo Switch is mostly a step in the right direction. I won't be able to buy it at launch since I'm budgeting for a trip around the same time. I really want to get it but the paid online is putting me off a bit. I might wait until there's information about how much the online will cost. Thank you for reading and feel free to leave your thoughts in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment