Wednesday 1 November 2017

Squishy: My thoughts on Super Mario Odyssey

Last Friday, Super Mario Odyssey released for the Nintendo Switch. I bought it at launch and started playing it the day after (blame my brother for hogging my Switch lol). I finished the main story yesterday and played some post game stuff as well so here are my thoughts on the game.


Story
I mean... its a mainstream Mario game so the objective is to save Peach. The only difference is that this time, Bowser to trying to marry her and each world (also known as a "World") provides something related to the wedding (one place has the cake, another has Peach's dress etc). I like how the story has more purpose rather than simply saving Peach from Bowser.

Gameplay
Mario's controls play similar to past 3D games, having the standard triple jump and long jump. The biggest control change was the addition of Cappy. With him you can get an extra jump and possess (ahem... "capture") enemies which will give you a unique characteristic relating to that enemy. Cappy controls really well and its corresponds well with the levels. Also Mario can roll!

Other stuff
The graphics are amazing. I usually don't care for them (as long as the game is easy to see) but they are really breathtaking. Especially in the Wooded Kingdom where the trees both look eye catching and in the background. 

The music is also awesome! I didn't think Nintendo could beat Super Mario Galaxy's soundtrack until I played this. When I entered the Cascade Kingdom and heard the music alongside it, I actually almost started crying because it reminded me so much of when I played Super Mario 64 DS at nine years old. Same applies to the Lake Kingdom. It's music gave me such a Dire Dire Docks vibe, but it also felt new. There are also some 8-bit versions of some of the music which also sounds cool.

Overall
I am enjoying this game so much! I usually couldn't be bothered when it comes to completing a game 100% but I want to do it with Odyssey because I don't want the experience to end. I feel like a little kid playing a Mario game again. Its a must have for the Switch. Thank you for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment