Tuesday 29 August 2017

Squishy's thoughts on Miiverse's future death

Although Miiverse isn't used as much these days, a few years back I used it the same way that I use Twitter now (way too much). It was the first form of social networking for gamers I had access to (besides Nintendo Letter Box and Flipnote Hatena)

Nintendo will be pulling the plug on it on the 8th November this year. I would like to spend today talking about my fondest memories before its gone for good.

This is a bit of a simple memorie but I remember rushing home from school just to see what all my online friends were up to. I only had the 3DS version so I also remember getting hooked the day it released. Now I do it for Twittr (no shame).

I remember being excited to see Sakuri's pic of the week for Smash 4 and getting really excited when I was quick enough to leave a comment (because there was a 1,000 comment limit back then).

There was a time where the Miiverse mods were really strict when it came to Friend Codes so I spent a year figuring out creative ways to sneak my Friend Code under the mods noses. My favourite was putting the friend code on the bulletin board in Animal Crossing and posting a screenshot. Ahhh those were the days.

My favourite memory had to be the Miiverse rebellion of 2014. At the time Miiverse had a update that forced users to wait 3 minutes before they could post again (so like Reddit, but worse). A large majority of the community got really annoyed and started a rebellion against the mods. Its was just a day where everyone constantly broke the rules and made the mod's jobs a nightmare, but I'll never forget it. There was even the hashtag #SaveMiiverse floating around.

Thank you Miiverse for being my jumpstart into the gaming community. Does anyone else have any Miiverse memories? Feel free to leave it in the comments. Thak you for reading and have a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment